History of our Church
In 1857, the Methodist Society was organized by J.R. Tansey and was headquartered at Bidwell Bar, although the first services were held at Long Bar mining camp in 1849.
In May 1878, the First Methodist Episcopal Church was incorporated, and on the 4th of April 1879, the cornerstone was laid at the northeast corner of Bird and Lincoln for the First Methodist Church building in Oroville. It was completed in 1883.
A newer, much larger church at Robinson and Lincoln streets, was begun in 1909 and dedicated in March 1911. The building was completed for $22,000.00! The Reuter Pipe Organ was installed in that church in 1925.
Ground breaking for the present church on Acacia Ave. was began in February 1965, and a month later the old church on Robinson and Lincoln was torn down, it was 55 years old.
The first services at the new church were held on September 26, 1965
To read more about the history of our church click here to read
"The Faith of our Fathers
125 years of Christian Service
First United Methodist Church of Oroville
Built with Mobirise site builder